Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I've had a great day at work today. I have taken care of my kids and had time to read bloggs.
I love Kimdergardens site, and all her blog friends.
It's just amazing the stories from around the globe.

Went and saw the Harry Potter movie yesterday. I had to fill in a lot of the blanks for my husband, he hasn't read any of the books, and could keep up with who was who and what was going on. It was ok thought, we were the only ones in the theator at 11am. Glad I didn't take my daughter, it was a little on the dark side. This weekend I promised her we would go see the Chronicals of Narnia. She keeps calling it the "The Lion of Narnia." I have tried to read her the book, but with out pictures her attention span is short. It won't be long and she will be reading novels all by her self. I just can't get over how fast she is learning. Texas is way ahead of NM. Kindergarten here is first grade there. The other amazing thing is all 18 kids are on the same page. If one gets a little behind, the aid or librarian takes extra time with them. I just hope this continues. Not that I'm a pushy mommy or anything.

I love telling my story of my blind, deaf, and disabled baby.
My daughter was born 8 weeks early. At one week of age she was on a ventilator for apnea and brady spells. (She didn't always want to breath.) Then they found out she had interventricular hemorages in her brain (grade III IVH). At which the neonatologist said she would most likely be blind, deaf and mentally delayed. Then she developed a large cavernous hemangioma on the nape of her neck. NM docs said, leave it alone it will go away by the time she is 8. It grew, it bleed, it grew some more and her head was cocked to the right. She couldn't hold her head up, nor could she roll over. My husband and I took to the internet and found the book and the Doc who wrote the book. September 2000, we went to Arkansas Childrens to see Dr Waner. He surgically removed her hemangioma and she rolled over the very next day. Of course, when we got home her docs were very mad at me for going over, around and behind their backs to get my daughter taken care of. In fact the Doc that had to take the stitches out almost go a fist in his mouth from me when he stated that he could have removed the hemangioma. I had only been looking for someone to do the surgery for 7 months. It was a good thing I was holding my daughter, I would have knocked his block off. (I guess I'm still a little sore about having to leave the state to get her medical attention.)
I made the insurance company pay for physical therapy, and low and behold. She was not blind, she just needed visual stimulation, she wasn't deaf, she was just tuning out all the NICU noise, and by the age of 36 months, she was right on target for her age.

If anyone has a hemangioma please don't ingore it, Dr Waner is now in New York, but he is the best. You can catch him on Discover Health every now and then.

Photos of my beautiful daughter to be put on later. I'm at work and photos are at home.
TTFN

4 Comments:

Blogger P M Prescott said...

And there is definitely no grass growing between her toes!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Grinny Granny said...

We consider the family's miracle baby! She is just amazing after all that she has been through. P, tell your Mom that S has NOT moved. I talked to E and S had said something to E a while back about wanting to move closer to where he works. And E helped him one Saturday to move furniture, but he was not moving. I ASSUMED! You know what happens when somebody does that! I goofed! Busy, busy, busy! Cold, cold cold!!

9:34 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

WOW God is good. I love stories like that. It gives a person hope. Have a great weekend, thanks for hte visit, come again.

1:45 PM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Your deaf and blind little one is so busy. When I have her after school she sets up the card table, gets scissors, glue, paper and colored pencils. She then makes cards and any other thing she can think of. She entertains herself. She is still asking for a puppy. I don't know of any other 5 year old almost 6 year old that has that much arts and crafts ability. Oh, yes she was rubber stamping at three. I'm not her grandmother or anything.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home