Monday, August 15, 2005

There are worse things in life than death.

I was reading my mainstreambaptist blog and thought I would leave a comment, but discovered that this is one of my passionate soapboxes.

Being in the medical field I have seen the wonders of medicine.
I can help keep a fetus of 23 to 28 weeks gestation alive. (Sometimes they have good outcomes but mostly they don't, they may live with blindness, retardation, CP, ADHD, deafness, short gut syndrome, and other syndromes and disfunctions.)
Medicine has come a long way in fighting diseases like polio and small pox. But we have also created superviruses and resistant bugs that still threaten our lives.

Medicines purpose is ease suffering to have a better quality of life, and hopefully prolong life. Ease suffering should be number one. Unfortunately,
We do have ethic committees, procedures and law to help ease suffering when the families are only think of themselves.

There comes a time in the treatment of humans that doctors, nurses, and respiratory therapist ask, "why are we doing this? Is this going to just prolong a life a day, week or month? Are we doing harm to this patient? What is the quailty of life for this person and the family, what kind of life are we giving to them?"
These questions usually fall on the MD and the ethics committee if need be.
Most families understand this and will let their loved ones go.


What pisses me off the most is the so called people of the cloth that come into my hospital speaking healling, miracles and faith for multisystem failure patients that are blownup like a big fat toad, yellow and being kept alive on machines and medicines to keep their hearts beating. Sometimes God wants his angles.
I don't want to put God in a box, but not all people are going to be miraculously healed. Who are we to tell God no you can't have my daughter, I'm going the keep her alive for 15 years and make her life hell.
Pastors and ministers need to comfort and reassure families that thier loved ones will be in a better place, without pain, sorrow, suffering or loss. Sometimes these bodies are just broken. People know when it's time to die. They withdrawl, they sleep alot, they are getting ready for the last journey.
Politician need to get out of individual lives. The Terry Schivo's parents should be ashamed of the circus they caused. This was totally disrepective to their daughter and son-in-law. Poor Terry a young vibrant women with everything ahead of her and to be put thru this. Where was the dignatiy, the humanity , the love and wanting to do what was best for her? Not what was best for mommy dearest. Some people can be so self centered and narrowminded.
King Solomon was very wise to recommend "cut the baby in two." He found out who really loved.
I'm a mommy, I understand that I would do anything, go anywhere and battle anyone for M. Her health and safety are my top priority and yes I do get many opinions until I get the answer I want. But if she was not going to get well, not going to have a quality of life. Or if all medicine was doing was torturing her. I would let her have her angel wings.

There are worse things in life than death. I for one would like to have a good long quality of life. If I had to live on a ventilator, have a feeding tube, or life support medication. Pull the plug let me get to my mansion in the sky. Jesus has been working on my mansion since I was born.


(Just had chemo today so if I ramble and my grammer is off. It's my congnative dulling from the chemo and benadryl.)

4 Comments:

Blogger P M Prescott said...

Stay on your soapbox well worth hearing.

8:36 PM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

It sometimes is harder to see your loved one suffer than to wait for God's Will to be done.

I think of all the things we went through with M and she has turned out so well. But I can't help thinking of our druggist who let his child die and if it was really necessary. When is the right time to give up and give in. I know what we went through with my mother and I certainly don't want to see anyone do that again.

My trip to Dallas today was usless I'll talk to you about it.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Aunty Pesty said...

It was hard for me to see Shooby hurting and it was killing me. I couldn't sleep at night thinking something was wrong and there wasn't anything that I could do to help ease the pain, but in the end we had to let her go because it was her time, but from time to time, when I am thinking about her or walking home, that she was still here and I go into the house and in my room and then it hits me and I cry a little bit. She was my little girl when she was with me and I loved her alot. It was hard to let go of her, but I had to. I miss her alot.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Bruce Prescott said...

mspenni,

I agree with Greek Shadow. This is a soap box that you can stay on and preach some more.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home